How can I set my own songs as ringtones?

Let's talk about iPhone ringtones. Share your thoughts and findings but no advertising please.

Postby tommartin » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:37 am

Hi Guys!

How can I set my own songs as ringtones? It was very easy in Nokia handsets. You could select any song from music library and set as ringtone. But it seems like it is not as simple as that in iPhone.

Any ideas?

Tom
tommartin

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: How can I set my own songs as ringtones?

Postby s-max » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:59 am

Sadly you just cannot select a song to make a ringtone. Ringtones have to be no more than 30 seconds long. There are plenty of posts in this section on how to do it.
iPhone 4 32Gb on O2
iPhone 3G 8Gb on O2

twitter.com/iphoneforumuk
s-max

Device: iPhone 5s 16gb
Firmware: 7.1.1
Network: O2
Jailbroken: No
Unlocked: Yes
iTune version: 11.1.3

Postby allan1010 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:19 am

The info. on two or three very simple methods of doing this is already in the forum.
Just search for ringtones or browse the sections, it is quite recent..
Good luck.
allan1010

Postby Vevey2004 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:30 pm

Hi there,

Here is full instructions for making your own ringtones using a song from your iTunes library, and iTunes itself to convert it. Before someone accuses me of flooding or whatever its my own post just copied from another thread to make it easier for this guy..or gal to do it.

Right click on the song in iTunes and select "get info"

Go to the "options" tab

Type in start and end point ie (0:00 - 0:30) the tune cant be any longer than 30 secs then click OK

Now the song will only play that section in iTunes, now go upto the top of iTunes and select the "advance" tab and "convert selection to AAC" this will now creat a new file under the original song of the ringtone clip that you want.

Drag that new clip onto the desk top (or folder) and delete it from itunes library (this is important) select move to recycle bin.

Now go to the clip you have dragged and change the extension from "ringtone.m4a" to "ringtone.m4r" and you will notice the file will change and now be a ringtone clip.*****

Double click on the file and it will automatically appear in the ringtones tab in iTunes.

To be able to use multiple tracks on the iphone you must now right click on the on the ringtone in the ringtone tab and select "get info" and clear all information in the "info" and "sorting" tabs, only leave the ringtone name, get rid of all track numbers etc and also remember to set genre to none.

You can now add as many custom ringtones onto your iphone as you wish. All you now need to do is remember to reset the time in the original song you used or it will only play that 30 sec clip.

*****You should be able to change file extentions by just highlighting over whatever file extention it is and replacing it with the one you want.

To do this just right click on the file, and click on properties on the pop up menu. then where you see the name of the file just hightlight and change the file extention which is the .XXX on the end. Windows does however hide the file extention by default so if you can't see the file extention on the end of the name then you need to change your settings.

Go into control panel > folder options> view> and under the advanced settings, clear the 'Hide extensions for known file types' check box, and then click OK. This then allows you to display file extensions, and can therefore be changed as described above.

Let me know how you get on with it and whether or not i can be of further help
Vevey2004

Postby wozzatt » Sun May 24, 2009 1:10 pm

Vevey2004 wrote:Hi there,

Here is full instructions for making your own ringtones using a song from your iTunes library, and iTunes itself to convert it. Before someone accuses me of flooding or whatever its my own post just copied from another thread to make it easier for this guy..or gal to do it.

Right click on the song in iTunes and select "get info"

Go to the "options" tab

Type in start and end point ie (0:00 - 0:30) the tune cant be any longer than 30 secs then click OK

Now the song will only play that section in iTunes, now go upto the top of iTunes and select the "advance" tab and "convert selection to AAC" this will now creat a new file under the original song of the ringtone clip that you want.

Drag that new clip onto the desk top (or folder) and delete it from itunes library (this is important) select move to recycle bin.

Now go to the clip you have dragged and change the extension from "ringtone.m4a" to "ringtone.m4r" and you will notice the file will change and now be a ringtone clip.*****

Double click on the file and it will automatically appear in the ringtones tab in iTunes.

To be able to use multiple tracks on the iphone you must now right click on the on the ringtone in the ringtone tab and select "get info" and clear all information in the "info" and "sorting" tabs, only leave the ringtone name, get rid of all track numbers etc and also remember to set genre to none.

You can now add as many custom ringtones onto your iphone as you wish. All you now need to do is remember to reset the time in the original song you used or it will only play that 30 sec clip.

*****You should be able to change file extentions by just highlighting over whatever file extention it is and replacing it with the one you want.

To do this just right click on the file, and click on properties on the pop up menu. then where you see the name of the file just hightlight and change the file extention which is the .XXX on the end. Windows does however hide the file extention by default so if you can't see the file extention on the end of the name then you need to change your settings.

Go into control panel > folder options> view> and under the advanced settings, clear the 'Hide extensions for known file types' check box, and then click OK. This then allows you to display file extensions, and can therefore be changed as described above.

Let me know how you get on with it and whether or not i can be of further help

Thank you for the excellent 'how to'. I've now got my beloved Insomnia (Faithless) ringtone back instead of the nonsense Apple provide! :D
wozzatt

Postby christopher_vtec » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:24 pm

hi there , it's probably just because i'm useless , but i cant change the file from ringtone.m4a to ringtone.m4r . please help me :mrgreen:
christopher_vtec

Postby Satanic Goat » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:08 pm

I nicked that from the above post. If your using windows which i'm assuming you are do the above then just rename over typing the a at the end with an r. If your using a Mac use Garageband
"But far more numerous was the herd of such, Who think too little, and who talk too much"
Satanic Goat

Postby Penfold83 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:26 am

Just joined the forum as i think it will be handy to have info and help off other Iphone users.
Had the phone since November last year and ive been trying to sort out my own custom ringtones for ages.

Vevey2004, your step by step guide was perfect and very easy to follow, just wanted to say thank you.

Cheers.
Penfold83

Postby Vevey2004 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:02 pm

No Problem. Its what a site like this is here for.

I didn't invent it or work it our myself, I just found out in an earlier post from here, but I noticed many were still finding it difficult so I decided to type out a step by step more informative and in depth guide.

Since then less and less people have been as confused as to how to do it, which is great, so mission accomplished.

Still despite this perfectly free and adequate option many still prefer to use third party apps like garage band and the like...thankfully I don't know of anyone who is dunce enough to do it through iTunes and pay full price for a thirty second clip.
Vevey2004

Postby eyephoned » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:28 am

That step by step guide is absolutey brillaint, I have my own ringtones on my iphone now. This is what internet forums are about. Thanks guys
eyephoned

Next

Return to iPhone Ringtone